View Single Post
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:55 PM
jedorme is offline
Find More Posts by jedorme
Registered User
Joined Jul 2009
321 Posts
Venture 60 Build Thread Continued

So to answer the questions about how I actually went about mounting an electric motor on the standard firewall, here is how I decided to do it with hardware store standard nylon standoffs. Measuring the motor I determined I needed 1 ¼” of standoffs to reach the same place that a nitro engine prop back plate would need to be located according to the plans. I have to admit at this point I have used Great Planes metal motor mounts & a couple of other very comparable ones, & yes, I do like their really solid construction, but don’t much care for how often they really just don’t fit quite right in the nose area spacing (particularly if under a cowl), & then I have had to struggle with modifying a couple of these metal mounts to make them work. But using these spacers instead just made it so easy to install the motor. I think I will certainly consider them again if & when any model is as rock solid as is the V60.

Then like I said I went about painting the entire inner nose area where the motor would be situated a flat black color like the can on the motor. I also painted the nylon standoffs the same flat black color. What a difference it really made; so now the motor, standoffs & the entire interior space all look like they were really designed that way. One of the real added benefits of electric power is that you can enjoy the front end design of your plane without having to mess it up to be able to attach a not-very-stylish nitro engine & muffler system. Not to mention avoidance of slimy substances all over the airframe every time you fly it!

Bruce provides some very useful, as he terms it, “Tools ‘N Stuff”, consisting of heavy cut out material that you use for setting the dihedral angle of the wing panel’s root ribs, & setting the angles of the cockpit headrest & instrument panels. And at this point one is used to glue in the headrest to the cockpit floor at the called-for rearward angle. Then he employs probably the heaviest stock of balsa stringers to build the turtledeck I have ever used – five pieces of 3/16” by ¼” balsa stock that you glue into the perfectly created notches in the formers located between the headrest & the tail former F-6. If you got the fuse set up right, these just fall into place, straight as an arrow. After the glue dries, you trim off the edges of these stringers even with the edges of the headrest & tail former F-6, & do some sanding of the tailpost to insure that it is flush with the edges of the fuse sides. About at this point my flying partner dropped by to see this V60 he had heard me talking about, & all he could say was “WOW – look at those turtledeck stringers!”

Here are the obligatory photos depicting what is described above. Sorry that I haven’t figured out how guys like Dereck manage to add helpful text along with their photos, but maybe by the time I’m through taking pics, I’ll get it worked out. And it also looks like I’m just about to the point in the manual & plans that the next steps involve working on mounting the wing to the fuselage. I still don’t have a “wing” – singular form – but have one completed wing panel & now one part completed wing panel – consisting of not quite two halves of a “wing”. So I will probably move to doing some work on the tail feathers in order to have something on which to continue reporting. Looks like I am going to have to ramp up my pace of work on that left wing panel as well if I am going to avoid any hiatus in this build thread. Unfortunately right now I also have a sick spouse (bronchitis, which you’re not supposed to get in our warm CA desert), so I’m playing Dr. Kildare (not the “young” version but the “older” one, for those of you whose memories go back that far) when I’m not working on the V60.
jedorme is offline Find More Posts by jedorme
Reply With Quote