Thread: Build Log CMP Spitfire 50 - 54"
View Single Post
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:56 AM
Find More Posts by rodneyf
I couldn't help it!
Australia, NSW, Padstow
Joined Oct 2009
1,361 Posts
Dick, I had to sit the Spitty for a while as I had an accident where the failsafe did not work and the result was 45 stitches in my right hand and left forearm.
It all started when I left my TX in the hands of a friend and went to retrieve the Spitty after a landing, when I picked the plane up I noticed a little damage on the rudder and reached up to touch the rudder.
I had landed about 100 mtrs from the pits on a grass field and my friend took my reaching for the rudder as the signal I had removed the battery and he turned off my TX for me.
That's when the failsafe failed and the motor went to full throttle in a second and my arm and hand were in the way of a 14x8 wooden prop until my friend realised and turned off the TX.
After the surgery and healing another friend suggested I paint the Spitty in the colours of the Grey Nurse, a Spitty that is famous down here in OZ.
She is all ready to again with some modifications to the electrical system to isolate the motor via an external switch.
The moral of the story is, NEVER TRUST the system KEEP CLEAR OF ALL PROPS!!!!!!!
rodneyf is offline Find More Posts by rodneyf