Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:19 PM
Find More Posts by CapMike
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
False. Inlet area can be as low as 65% FSA if the shape is just right. 80% is a reasonable number to shoot for, especially with new fans having more than 4 or 5 blades.

For the exhaust, make sure you're looking at half the area, not diameter. As long as the total area is equal or less than 100% fsa, I think it will work ok.
Steve if this is the case then it might be do-able in scale. The 2 inlets are rather small. I will have to run the area numbers again tomorrow to see if it is anywhere near the 65-80%. If scaled to meet the 100% inlet diameter the exhaust outlets would look way too small at the 1.25" suggested.
Should the inlets have a twist to them as well as the outlets? I think this could help to smooth the airflow coming into the rotor and may also help with the vortice of the outlet as the air takes on a swirl when forced by the rotor. I think this can also help to get past any high or low pressure areas in front of or behind the rotor.
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
Last edited by CapMike; Feb 22, 2013 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Added for clarification