View Single Post
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:55 PM
Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2011
2,885 Posts
Build Log
Flyguy 62 Version 2

RC Superman over San Diego by Otto Dieffenbach (0 min 35 sec)

Adizero Flying Golfers at Torrey Pines (5 min 10 sec)

Ironman 3 Flying : Flyguy 62 Version 2 by Otto Dieffenbach (2 min 52 sec)

Ironman 3 Flying Flyguy FPV at Dave's Beach by Otto Dieffenbach (0 min 34 sec)

History: Flyguy™ came into being after a visit to my local hobby shop where one of the workers showed me a 30 second clip of an RC flying man. I had seen human shaped balsa gliders in the early 60’s and decided I wanted to design and build a flying person while keeping it inexpensive, simple to build and easy to fly.

That was 2 years ago and now I have about 6 variations of the basic Flyguy and have personally built 15. They are being flown by modelers worldwide. A video of my personal Flyguy dressed as Superman went viral and lead to many national interviews and corporate events.

Flyguy is easy to build and will fly great if you follow the build log; deviate and you may have problems. You can scratch build Flyguy or order Depron and ply cutouts through www.hoosiercutoutservice.com.

This Build Log is a “how to” step by step process of building a 62” Flyguy 62 Version 2. Version 2 incorporates 3mm Depron laminated with 1/16” plywood making Flyguy extremely rugged. The overall shape has not changed from Version 1 and if you would like to upgrade a Version 1, the plywood parts are available from flyingguys.com.

I use only hobby store available parts in this build log. Additionally, I demonstrate how to personalize the head graphics. You will notice that I modified the cutouts to look like Ironman so that I could add him to my personal fleet. If you follow this process, you will have a durable Flyguy that will fly well.

In addition, if you happen to get out to the Los Angeles or San Diego area and would like a RTF Flyguy 62 Version 2, I now offer them flight tested, less battery and transmitter for $700. Inquire through flyingguys.com.

Happy flying.

New as of February of 2014 is Flyguy 62 Version 3, a fully aerobatic version of Flyguy. Version 3 is designed for the intermediate to advanced flyer where Version 2 is designed for anybody that can fly a trainer. Version 3 has twin motors for yaw control and is capable of inside and outside loops. Rolls are very axial and yaw control allows slow and point rolls. Here is a link to the build log:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2121609

Flyguy 62 Version 3 Fully Aerobatic with Twin Motors by Otto Dieffenbach (1 min 11 sec)
Otto Dieffenbach is online now Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Nov 04, 2014 at 10:50 AM.