View Single Post
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:30 PM
Find More Posts by DeadTom
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
818 Posts
Interesting thread, I have 3 balsa planes that are 30+ years old.

1 is a Sig Kadet Senior with an OS .40, this one my dad built and gave to me when he decided not to fly anymore. All I have done is change out the old 72mhz radio with a Spektrum full range rx and a new battery pack, same old Futaba servos, Flies great.

2 is a low wing plane OS.25 powered plane that I designed a fueselage for when my older brother gave me an old wing with ailerons, he could not remember what it came from. Changed out the old 72mhz rx added a new battery kept the old servos and it flies great still.

3 is a Carl Goldberg Electraflyer (Gentle Lady look-a-like in electric form) that came with a 400 size motor and used 6 "C" nicads batteries, this never flew and was changed to a Cox TD.09 it can be pointed straight up and it gains altitude quickly. Same with this one as with the others changed out the 72mhz rx, new batt and kept the servos.
All three were made with aliphatic glues and Ambroid. I never really thought of glue joint degradation and the monokote getting brittle, something to watch out for.
Good luck
DeadTom is offline Find More Posts by DeadTom