View Single Post
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:28 PM
Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
8,047 Posts
[QUOTE=chetosmachine;24135173].................................................. ...................Jim, the interest of hollow is that you can put ballast on it. No structural advantage.
...............................QUOTE]

Yes! So obvious but I did not think of it, thanks. Very neat little trick.

I have just obtained some silicone (2 part RTV) for another task. I will have plenty left over and I might get around to trying it out for manufacturing a hollow joiner.
The choosing of a type of silicone for a particular job is challenging. I was on the phone for a long time choosing this one. In the end, it was a young sounding woman who knew her stuff best, and immediately understood my description of the application, helped with a couple of pictures.
However, I like your brass (rod?) forming idea. I would try spiral wrapping the rod with drop sheet plastic - I've used this method successfully for making small tubes. The Carbon would then need to be a mix of uni and tow to shape the layup around the round rod.
That is, or course, if round is used.

The joiner I have in my current plank (see my blog) is 40 x 12 mm. Plenty of scope for hollow cavities.

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson