Thread: New Product E-Flite Mystique 2.9m ARF
View Single Post
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:23 PM
Find More Posts by TeamHorizon
Joined Jan 2007
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
So I had a very strange thing happen when I changed props today,, maybe someone can explain it. Sooo,, I decided since I needed to move my CG fowArd a bit,, I'd put on the 15gram heavier aernought turbo spinner,, and since I was doing that might as well try a slightly bigger prop,,, so,,, I went from a 13x6.5 aeronaught on a stock E flite spinner to a 14x6 aeronaught with a aeronaught spinner,, with me?? My amp draw , checked several times with the 13x6.5 static was between 55-56 amps,, so then after I changed to aeronaught spinner and proped up to a 14x6,, I checked again,, now I get 45 amps!!!
Weird huh??? I check it 3x just to be sure yup 45- 46 amps,, should've been a little higher or about the same I would think,,, hmmmm. Soooo,,,, just for giggles I decide to try the E Flite 14x8 prop which has slightly narrower shoulders than the aeronaught props,, now I get about 55-56 amps,,, WOW!!!! About the same as I WAS getting previously using the 13x6.5 and E Flite spinner,, very weird!!! Maybe e flite spinner was rubbing against nose slightly??
Or,,, maybe E flite spinner not dynamically balanced as well??? The aeronaught DOES have a very different design than the E Flite spinner,, the e flite spinner doesnt have a backplate as where the aeronaught does. I'm at a loss to explain
But I'm happy about it. :-)
From my experience, (Iím not a real expert on electrics) Ground AMP checks are only a guide. My guess is the newer prop is possibly showing signs of cavitation and producing less load on the system. In flight power draw measurements are much more realistic. I do a lot of racing aircraft and prop cavitation can be very misleading especially when figuring out prop loads In flight information is more accurate.
TeamHorizon is offline Find More Posts by TeamHorizon
Site Sponsor