Thread: New Product E-Flite Mystique 2.9m ARF
View Single Post
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:58 PM
aeajr is offline
Find More Posts by aeajr
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
25,334 Posts
Since my name has been mentioned, let me help out with some terms, as I understand them because I think we have a terms issue. We are also talking about mixes and how mixes are used may vary from radio to radio.

Let me define things as I use them and the mixes I use. I have a Futaba 9C Super that has sailplane programming.

Flaperons - This is a mix in my radio that is used when the plane has no flaps so I can use ailerons as flaps based on the flapperon mix in the radio. My Easy Glider is set up this way. I would not expect this to appy on a full house sailplane since it has flaps. At least I would not use that mix in my radio on a plane like the Mystique.

Aileron to flap mixing or flaps following ailerons, is a mix when the flaps move in the same direction as the ailerons. This is done to reduce the amount we need to move the ailerons to minimize drag. One might call this flapperons but I would say it is a missuse and confusing use of the term. This requires that the flaps are each on their own channel and that your radio has a mix that will do this. I would not use the flapperon mix for this for the Mystique .

Full trailing edge camber control. This is the ability to change the trim of the full trailling edge. This can done with the flaps on a Y cable as the flaps will move together. Your radio would typically have a mix called camber or it might have a "speed/reflex" mix. You might also use crow or butterfly that allows you to change the offset of the trailing edge. Different radios have different names and different mixes.

In my radio I have a

speed/reflex mix - full trailing edge up - I have it set on a switch so it goes to the same spot every time. My reflex/speed mix also has the ability to add in elevator compensation if I wish.

Camber - Full trailing edge down a little, again with elevator comp, for thermals. I have it on a switch.

Flap to elevator - This is my preferred landing mix on most of my gliders. No aileron involvement. I have it on the left stick. It changes the glide path and lowers the stall speed. Some radios put it on a 3 way switch.

Crow/butterfly - this is a landing mix that gives me a variable mix that I have assigned to my left stick. Typically crow is set so that the ailerons go up as the flaps go down to create drag and provide a lot of breaking action. It changes the glide path. Depending on the % aileron to %flap it may or may not change the stall speed.

Using the crow/butterfly mix I could have the ailerons go down instead to create full span flaps. Again, someone might call this flapperons, but I would consider this an incorrect use of the word as Iam not using teh flapperon mix. This would lower the stall speed a lot and let me land very slowly.

So, on my full house gliders, based on my radio, I have no use for the flapperon mix. Your radio may be different.

Did that help or did I just create confusion? Different radios have different mixes and sometimes different names for those mixes. And sometimes we use mixes in unusual ways to create mixes that we don't have. So, in a DX7 you might actually use the flapperon mix to try to try to create a mix that is something like one of the mixes I use.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Feb 13, 2013 at 03:07 PM.
Reply With Quote