Thread: Discussion Indoor Bostonian
View Single Post
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:43 PM
Find More Posts by lincoln
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,231 Posts
For tissue, I find a good, fresh glue stick works well for indoor planes.

Seems to me that, using 4 lb wood, any of these designs might be made light enough! I have a 5 gram dime scale plane that has a 16 inch wing span, and includes wing struts, cylinders made from bond paper, and a couple of other things you wouldn't need in a Bostonian. I think I used 5 lb wood. I definitely used Esaki tissue. It's single covered and has a narrower wing, but still. BTW, I had to put on a big chunk of tail weight.

They say Gampi is significantly lighter than Esaki, but I don't know where to get it. Don't use "domestic" tissue, it's heavier. But if you can handle 4 lb wood, you probably already know that! Maybe if you finish the entire airframe, you'll find you can afford the weight of the Esaki. Whatever you use, weigh it first. At least if it's paper. Seems like not all batches are exactly the same. Good Esaki can be 10 grams per square meter.

Can you print (with a computer printer), use a marker, or spray paint condenser tissue? (Obviously for spraying you'd need to use a decent airbrush with decent paint instead of a spray can)

Some produce bags from the supermarket are very light, but I bet they're even harder to paint than condenser paper. And they need to be stuck down with contact cement. Shrinks ok with an iron if you get the temperature just right. I found the crinkly, slightly foggy type was best, but that was a while ago.

I wonder if you can get some kind of marking to stick to Ultrafilm. That stuff is REALLY light.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln