: Build Log
Sterling Stinson Reliant 57 inch version
View Single Post
Feb 11, 2013
, 12:55 PM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
This is how I built it...
View all Images in thread
I started out by making a paper template of the IP.
Get my research organized!
Rough pattern...I will need to make three of these. One out of 1/16th balsa (which will be the back of the IP, attaching to the bulkhead) and two out of 1/32 balsa. The 1/32nd balsa would be sanded even thiner...
Two of them "rough" cut. They only have SIG balsa out here which I have found to be hit and miss in its quality.
Now I start measuring and using math! This goes to back to my concerns with calculating the scale accurately. Basically, each of these squares is a spot for a gauge. I needed to figure out the center of each box to ensure I am placing the gaugues rough
Starting to drill the holes...
Not every square gets a hole!
This piece is the middle piece of my IP sandwich! Note the two holes on the right side ended up splitting the wood and turing them into one figure 8 shaped hole. Not an issue as this is the middle piece.
Next I draw the holes on the other two pieces!
Stacked and test fitted. Did some shaping to the bulkhead as well...
Paint, and a problem. While sanding the back of the third layer of the IP (the layer that will be facing out), the wood split :( You can see where it broke inbetween two of the top gauges and along the top left-hand side of where the compus will be.
Placing the cut-out gauges on the IP. I would test each location before painting!
Test fitting the 1/32nd clear material which will act as "glass" over the guages. I sanded down both of the 1/32 sheets so that this would better fit...
I would later glue 1/32 sheeting to the top, sides, and bottom so that the third panel would sit flat on this. Before gluing, I painted the inside of the gauge holes black.
To represent gauge mounting screws, I used pins. I tried several ways of doing this but found just sticking them in and gluing them down worked best. Then I would snip them off at the back and later use a grinding tool to grind the backs smooth. The on
Test fitting...my re-glued wood in the upper left hand side of the compus is very noticible. I would eventually sand it down. The simulated panal line was done with a mechanical pencil that has very hard lead. I also used that to highlight the gauge ri
More detial added.
Gluing the IP sandwich together!
Stearing columns added. Ugh. They did not turn out that nice...too small to be trying to make out of plywood. I tried making them from balsa but the balsa always broke when I tried shaping it. Wire would have been ideal.
It looks fine from a distance through windows :)
I was worried when I finished that the compus would get in the way of the windshield. It looks like it will be fine!