Thread: Discussion Goldberg Monster Pitts rebuild
View Single Post
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:24 PM
kenh3497 is offline
Find More Posts by kenh3497
Live long and fly high
kenh3497's Avatar
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,909 Posts
I did get a tiny bit further with the Pitts. All the blocking and reinforcement are in place and and the glue on the stringers is drying as we speak.... So to speak

Some of the blocking and reinforcement is not the same as the original, but should be just as strong if not stronger. I've been using a Polyurethane glue for the reassembly. I would not recommend building with the PU glue, but for rebuilding it seems to be a good choice. Not everything fits perfectly together and the PU glue foams up and fills the gaps and also gives a bit of a fillet, hopefully reinforcing the joint a bit. I've noticed the PU glue seems to be a tiny bit flexible. Even after several days the fillets seem to stretch as you dig at them. I had to remove a couple to add doublers in key spots. It was very tough to get off the wood.

Hopefully I can sheet it tomorrow. That will regain the two steps I lost. It will also finish the fuse so I can start on the lower wing. I do have a little issue with the horizontal stab. Miss rigging cause some warpage. I'll post a photo when I get to that point.

I am also in the midst of building a new wing for the CAP in my avatar. I broke the wing in flight but saved the plane. The first rebuild/scratch build here, and photos of the broken wing. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10804273/tm.htm The new wing will have a full depth spar to reinforce where the old wing broke. This is the first foam wing I ever broke. But, I've never had a wing with the cutout for the fuse. That is a huge stress riser in that corner.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Reply With Quote