Thread: Build Log Plank 1mp
View Single Post
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:05 PM
Find More Posts by Jon Snow
You know nothing....
Joined Sep 2011
3,622 Posts
After having a discussion with a certain gent in a shed,I've decided to go with a straight painted finish.I was going to use a primer coat of thinned water based varnish thickened with micro balloons,but tried it on a sample,which promptly curved in a quite violent way,almost to a half circle.Neat varnish produced a similar result.These two were weighted to flatten overnight and painted to compare the surfaces.The thinned micro balloons one is definitely better,much fuller.
The third unpainted piece is coated with a thinned epoxy,thickened with talc.No reaction from the wood;if this dries/sands/fills the grain ok and holds a coat of paint it will form a base coat..
I don't think subjecting the sheeting to the reactions that a water based varnish induce would be a wise move.
Before that I need to give the wing a good sanding.The reflexed area at the t/e is problematic,being slightly concave.What I propose to do is take 3 sections of the wing bed from the root,centre and tip,glue each one to a flat piece of wood and use as sanding blocks.
Jon Snow is offline Find More Posts by Jon Snow