Thread: Discussion Variable Wiggle Drive.
View Single Post
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:46 PM
Find More Posts by MattK_NZ
Obsessed with all things CNC.
Joined Jan 2013
18 Posts
Don't give up Craig, have a look at slow motion hummingbird flight... I see nothing but extremely rapid reciprocating motion combined with a straight triangular wing that is fixed to the body at one point at its base.

Update: My Rostock Max 3D printer will be arriving this week, 50m of openbeam extrusion will be arriving the week after that and I'm ordering a 780kg milling machine out of Taiwan after the Chinese new year celebrations end which I will be converting to a steel cutting cnc beast. Hopefully within 6 months I'll be making rigs as pretty as craig and kjell.

Hopefully I'll quickly get the hang of the 3D printer and make my own variable swash drive before mid march when I go back to work for the winter.

One last thing Craig, most of what wikipedia says about how flight works is misleading, over-simplified or wrong. Just stick your hand out the window of your moving car to experiment with airfoil shapes and you'll find that the airfoil shape doesn't effect lift even ten percent as much as pitch. What I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't let anybody elses flight theory stop you from doing imperical tests. There are as many ways to fly as there are creatures that do so.
MattK_NZ is offline Find More Posts by MattK_NZ