Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:40 PM
Find More Posts by mixer421
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomroyj View Post
At 2.5" under each tip, I get 14.25deg total which should be safe for initial flights. Good to hear you can adjust from there. Of course, if you want a more scale look, add some ailerons. I expect the full scale had them and in this size model an HXT900 (9gr from Hobbyking @ $3/ea) in each wing could be easily added I think

John
Thanks for the detailed math John. My old maths master, 'Spider' Beck, would be proud to know that I understood all of it. And he wouldn't even let us use a slide rule or 'guess stick' as he called them, calculators would have given him apoplexy!.

I have seriously thought about adding ailerons and I think it would be possible to do it with a single servo in the fuselage but I'd like first to see how it flies with just rudder / elevator in case there is a weight issue. I could build a second pair of wings later with ailerons and the possibility of using them as flaperons to more closely simulate the STOL performance of the full size.

I'm feeling a little sad as I'm in the last stages of serious balsa bashing - just a few more bits of 1/8"square to complete the elevators then it's all down to sanding, doping, ironing and wire bending.
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421