View Single Post
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:39 PM
Find More Posts by MikeCr
United States, WI, Slinger
Joined Mar 2006
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
The 306b can pull slightly more watts off 12v then the PL6. I've had a 306b for quite a while and have no complaints. I just got a PL6 as well but have not really gotten into customizing it yet so I won't make any decisions yet on which is better. In short pretty sure you would be happy with either one. If you want just the basic functions the 306b is great. If you want to really get into customizing things the PL6 lets you do just about anything.

The one thing I found interesting in the PL6 is the ability to set the frequency (31.25 kHz, 62.5 kHz, 125 kHz). It seems for small packs it uses a different frequency then for large packs. Have not looked into just what that means yet really. According to this thread though it just affects the efficiency (watts in vs watts out) of the charger.
I recently bought a PL6 and am planning to get another charger to use in combination with it, probably a 106. The other charger will be for the smaller packs and the PL6 for the large 6S packs. I really like my PL6, very easy to use and very versatile. I too was concerned that the PL6 would have far more capabilities than I'll need, but then again, I most likely won't outgrow it anytime soon.

The different frequencies have to do with the switching power supply. It's the same thing with ESC's, different frequencies work better for different situations.

Mike
MikeCr is offline Find More Posts by MikeCr