Thread: Discussion Tail Rotor ESC for Airships
View Single Post
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:00 PM
Find More Posts by Ed Couch
North Richland Hills, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
1,914 Posts
Gents

Per Pyro's suggestion I went ahead and ordered the ESC suggested and programming card. I was able to play with it a little this morning and thought I would go over the findings. First I utilized the card to preset the ESC to function both forward and reverse utilizing breaking fairly heavy before going in the opposite direction. One thing they did not have on the card was percentage power for reverse with default being set at 50 percent. This is the problem we have had since day one. After programming I tested everything and as suspected one way was about half the power of the reverse direction. Now I followed the instructions which are fun for setting the reverse power utilizing the transmitter. Following the beeps and tones was something out of Star Wars and R2D2 would have been proud. It took me a few times but I finally picked up on what was happening. Programmed for 100 percent reverse and turned things off at switch. Ok, now for the fun part. Tx back on, ESC lead plugged into the aileron output, remember this is for directional control and not throttle, flipped switch on ESC and let the unit do its thing to arm. Now for good part, moved stick right slowly to full thrown and tail rotor assembly is running like banshee. Moved stick back to center tail rotor stopped. Moved stick opposite direction to full position and speed came right up and about matches other direction. In other words we have equal right and left. Pyro you did it. Now I have to take this knowledge and go back to the Castle units and see if they will work the same way. If not I will be placing an order for more of these units. At about 65.00 dollars a unit, they are worth every penny spent. Also, the crossover from one direction to another is minimal, not as good as a brushed motor but much better than what we have been using on the castle units. Again, thanks to all for your comments. ed
Ed Couch is offline Find More Posts by Ed Couch