Thread: Discussion Miss Bardhl U-40 1967
View Single Post
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:02 PM
Find More Posts by cyberhoops
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
1,111 Posts
The motor location could work out fine, but it might be that the batteries are installed more toward the transom. I was thinking that the angle on the drive shaft was angled down a bit more than might be necessary, and maybe a bit deeper than desired.

You might check that the rear flat bottomed section of the hull is basically level to a table when the boat is sitting on the end of the strut ( with no prop) and the back (ride surfaces) of the sponsons. That might be a good starting point for the depth of the strut.

The CG does need to be behind the back of the sponson, and I would guess between 1 and 3 inches. Since the batteries are the main movable weight it is a good idea to plan for a range of motion for battery location that you can use to tweak the CG in that range.

For my skid fin, I just cut some an aluminum plate, about 3" long and 2" deep with a bit of a taper on the leading edge and then screwed that into the inside edge of the sponson. It sticks down about an inch below the ride surface. Since my 1/10th scale runs counter-clockwise, it is on the left sponson. I checked but it does not look like I ever took a picture of it when building the Hallmark Homes, but I do have a picture of the real boat where you can just make out the fin. The boats hardly had any fin at all, but even if you are not racing I think you want a little something there.
cyberhoops is offline Find More Posts by cyberhoops