View Single Post
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:33 AM
Find More Posts by luke352
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
What's the difference? I'm not being a smart alec - I just want to understand.

Thinking out loud, perhaps a hypothetical airframe could be said to lack directional stability, which would mean that frequent input from the pilot is required to keep it pointing in any given direction, maybe because its tail surfaces are comparatively small.

Personally, I don't detect any such tendencies with the Bandit. It doesn't appear to want to pitch up or down on its own, meaning its directionally stable in that plane. But if I do crank the elevator input, it can respond very strongly, if that's the current rates+expo setup. That's what I'd assume is meant by "pitch sensitivity" - the aircraft is sensitive to pitch input from the pilot.

Or is there a better definition for "pitch sensitivity"?
I would describe the Bandit as being very difficult to get on a line and then if you need to make a small adjustment even on low rates it needs a very soft touch to make a small adjustment without over correcting. Once you have it on that line it will hold it well it's just getting it there can be a real bear. So sensitive. Yes it still has good authority, i.e. when you yank on it you have plenty of response.

Whereas pitch authority means it still has excellent response when you yank on it and that ability to flip in it's own length yet isn't such a pain to get on line and is still smooth around centre and you don't find yourself over-correcting when trying to get on just the right line.
luke352 is offline Find More Posts by luke352