View Single Post
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:04 PM
Find More Posts by pegasus.pony
United States, TN, Knox
Joined Sep 2011
126 Posts
Ryans

Whistler,
Funny imitation of Banana Pete! Nice flying, too...
The U.S Navy version of the Ryan ST/PT series used a 5-cylinder radial engine. They called it the Ryan NR-1 "Recruit". The blue and yellow paint scheme was used by the U.S. Army on some of it's aircraft but there is no evidence that their Ryan ST/PT series aircraft ever used it. The U.S. Navy apparently only used a silver and yellow scheme. The silver finish included lots of polished natural-finish aluminum as did many, if not all of the Army's Ryans.
Attached are some pics of NR-1s and my HK Ryan STA EPO with flaps and "Ensign Clyde", my home-made pilot. It started out as a blue/yellow version from Hobby King.
The shot of the NR-1 "Recruit" hanging indoors was taken by me last year at the National Naval Aviation Museum, Pensacola, FL. The color shot of the flying NR-1 was swiped from the NNAM's website, I think. Same aircraft before it got hung up in the museum.
The NNAM is a GREAT museum and it is free! And, if you're there on the right day at the right time, you can see the Blue Angels practice, also for free. NAS Pensacola is their home base.

Cheers!
pegasus.pony is offline Find More Posts by pegasus.pony
Last edited by pegasus.pony; Feb 27, 2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Fun