View Single Post
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:21 PM
Find More Posts by ahicks
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
2,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
I agree that setting the control surface up by worrying too much about what the manual says is probably not necessary. I usually set up dual rates and expo at about 50% throw for low rates and 75% throw high raters to start, then work up from there once I get used to the airplane.

In the end I set high rates to 125% - 150% by adjusting the end points, and set the low rates to whatever seems right for just sport aerobatic flight

Wolfe
Yup set up about the same here. Well maybe not so extreme on the end points! One thing I do a little different. I do cheat a little on low rate with full up elevator set so the plane won't snap/stall. Awesome "go to" reference point for harriers and other high alpha stuff. Almost like cheating? I set the elevator the same on everything I fly. Wing loading makes no difference! Nothing will ruin a day like dropping a wing on short final with a balsa plane. Makes no difference if it's a warbird, sport or a 3D plane... ANY plane can be set like that. Cheap insurance for those "off" days....
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks