View Single Post
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:52 AM
Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,190 Posts
The short answer is.... They Suck !!!!!

OK... I'm really not an @$$... but it's the truth. Sure, there are guys who made them work... and they would fly well. BUT... I'd say 90% of the time (back in the day) I would see guys burn 300 ~ 400 ' worth of runway... and then pull off the ground, and they were ready to stall. IF... they got up, and got the nose pointed down... they would finally pick up speed, and go.

I'm not they typical "Jet Jock". The only reason I fly jets now, is because of the turbine engines. (they are cool) But, I remember sitting at one of the large flying fields... back in the 90's... and laughing at some of the IC-DF jets. They were loud... they sound like a pissed off bumble bee (so wrong sound) and they didn't work well. Heck... half the time, they never got off the run way. Either the engines would stall... or they woudln't peek. So... the pilot would have to go grab it, and give it a tweak... and try again.

With that all said... if you just want to fly jets... the IC-DF stuff is going cheap... but personally, I would say to go to EDF, and enjoy the model. The new EDF systems put out a lot of thrust. (a 90 to 120mm EDF would work well depending on the weight)

Finally... I think IC-DF fuel is hard to find these days. I've been told, it's low nitro, and high caster oil.
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Last edited by Dr Honda; Feb 04, 2013 at 07:59 AM.