View Single Post
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:44 PM
Find More Posts by Prof100
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilipecker View Post
I'm building an 86" span Bearcat, it's a fiberglass fuselage with foam core wings.
I really HATE the balsa sheeting, then glass cloth covering process...the time and money mostly.
I saw this Liquid Sheeting stuff. Looks like a really good idea? If I understood the video at the Wow Planes site, I can prime directly over the foam with Latex paint, then apply several coats of Liquid Sheeting, sand off the gloss and finish with my color paint....No expensive balsa sheeting, no glass cloth and resin!!!

I've read thoughts and theories about it, would love to hear if anyone Has anyone built BIG wings using this method????
The Liquid Sheeting is really Styrospray 1000. I have tried it and it worked OK on a HABU 2 foam fuselage, It didn't want to hold to the wings. I eventually stripped it off. It has no inherent strength or grain structure like balsa or fiberglass cloth. I would not advise using it as substitute. Plus, the techniques demonstrated is a learned skill. The Liquid Sheeting / Styrospray 1000 does not flow as evenly as you would think. It requires some TLC to come out smooth.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
Last edited by Prof100; Feb 03, 2013 at 08:51 PM.