Thread: Discussion IOM General Discussion
View Single Post
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:20 PM
Find More Posts by PorkyPig
David Cook Victoria, BC Canada
Joined Oct 2012
329 Posts
Hi David,

I was in a similar boat as you a few years ago. I've tried all the paints and procedures. My two favorite paint jobs are done by Graham Herbert and Adrian Harrison and both by hand using a brush. They both also spent nearly or over $100 for a single paint brush. Badger hair I hear is the best. That said I saw one of my boats got on on a professional photographer's website from a different continent who was visiting our region when I was attending a regatta. That was cool.

My paint job usually send a statement. Some think they're great, some awful. My favorite is when children watch our IOMs racing one yells out "I like the pink or rainbow one the best" makes it all worth while.

You need to decide what's important to you e.g. cost, environmentally friendly, ease of applying, colour (do you want it to blend in or stand out), time, etc.

After trying sprays, brush on, oil, arcylic, latex, automotive, marine epoxy, poly, my favorite right now (until epoxy pigments are ratified by ISAF) is arcylic base. It washes up with water, has a wide range of colours and tints and doesn't smell up the house (a very important criteria to my wife). Also they are cheap but for my IOMs money is no object. Self-satisfaction is. Wet sanding through the range of grits up to 2500 makes any paint job look good.

Here's a few of my paint jobs for you to look at which might spark an idea for you.

Cheers

David too
PorkyPig is offline Find More Posts by PorkyPig