Thread: Discussion Balsa USA Smoothie Build Thread
View Single Post
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:35 PM
Find More Posts by jbrooks01
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
1,038 Posts
I attached the forward canopy block today and used Toms suggestion to use Rit Dye to tint the canopy. The first task was to build a tab for a magnet to hold the battery hatch down. I cut out a piece of Light Ply from scrap, cut out a matching piece of 1/16" balsa, drilled a hole in it the size of the round magnet (the magnet is 1/16" thick), and cut out a short piece of 1/16" balsa to use as a spacer. When I mount the battery hatch I will use a 1/16" piece of balsa with a hole for another magnet glued to the hatch (that is why I had to use a spacer on the tab). I used C A to attach the wood pieces and 6 minute epoxy to attach the magnet (after it was roughed up with sandpaper and cleaned with alcohol). I attached the block to the fuselage with thick CA and did my finish sanding/shaping. I boiled a pan of water, let it simmer, mixed in a whole pack of Rit Dye, allowed it to cool (so I could hold my hand against the pan), plopped in the canopy and let it soak for half an hour. It worked! In fact it came out real well, thanks for the advice Tom. John
jbrooks01 is online now Find More Posts by jbrooks01