View Single Post
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:15 AM
Find More Posts by mattchase
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Mar 2005
611 Posts
What size motors are you using and are you flying with 3s or 4s batteries?

Unfortunately I don't think there is a best size, it depends on your needs. I prefer a smaller copter and have mine about as small as I think it can be and still handle my camera, which is about 25.5" mtm, using 13" booms. With 11x4.7 props this gives me about 2" of space between props which is probably a little narrow but so far is working ok. I am already thinking about extending my booms a few more inches in the future so that I can use larger motors / props, but I don't know when that will happen, and I am sure I won't go past 30" MTM. I think I remember reading Rusty or Hansen say that for an AP rig between 25" - 28" was a good range for MTM distances, but I'm not sure if that was for any copter or specifically for a quad or hexa. So you are pretty close with your current size, and I know there are plenty of people flying with larger MTM distances who are happy with their copters. I started off with a much larger copter (it was about 34" MTM) and it flew pretty well and was really easy to see from a distance, but it was so big that I had a hard time getting it through my narrow hallways or into my smallish car.
mattchase is offline Find More Posts by mattchase