Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:04 PM
Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
We have this discussion all the time in the aircraft category. I have a GT3B, 2 Turnigy 9x radios (one with custom firmware) and a 9xr on the way. Yes the quality is not the same. I once had a gimbal wire come loose, good thing I was on the ground. But the protocol is dead reliable. And I know some cars can be very expensive, and if you race and can afford the $300 radio, great. But a sub $100 Futaba over a Flysky? No way. The Flysky is great for the casual user. And if there is a failure, your car is likely not going to be 500 feet in the air traveling at 80mph. And the last post has it right, the cheapest 2.4G systems today are leaps and bounds ahead of the old AM and FM radios. I've never had an Rx fail but I guess anything can happen. I also have a Spektrum DX6i and honestly, I'm not that impressed. I prefer my 9x. Now I used a friends JR 12X and that was an impressive radio, but I think they are almost $1000. And if you are NOT racing, get a redcat, I have several. I don't race. They are cheap and fun. They are NOT high precision models, but they can perform well with the right setup. They are leaps and bounds better than Tamiya and Kyosho of 20 years ago.
I don't know If I would kick FM to the curb just yet. The new 2.4 ghz stuff is great I have one for my planes an converted my old 3pjs to 2.4 ghz It is a nice addition.I don't have to worry about crystals and the rest of it. But if your on a real tight budget you might be able to snag a FM radio with a ton of features for a little bit of money. And if everyone is on 2.4 you won't have to worry about interference as much. The signal still moves at the speed of light not to bad for old technology. Now that being said I'm also a Ham Radio Operator and will always have a soft spot for radio.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure