Thread: Discussion sailing models in DC
View Single Post
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:49 AM
Find More Posts by Brooks
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,560 Posts
George, publish the "we don't have to" letter you got, via letter to the editor, in a Washington paper. I don't think you will get anywhere without newspaper publicity. Use your "mistake" to further your cause.

Or, do a peaceful, one-man protest with signs and photos at the pond or pool. Alert the newspaper first, or a radio station that covers political stuff.

You've confirmed there are no regulations. Now you have to play by a different set of rules, not the lawyer rules you are used to. A bureaucrat's job is to make life easy for himself. The preferred method is to say No to everything. Your job is to make him realize that his No to You complicates his life.

That won't happen by letters or phone calls. You have to expand his world by showing that his No will result in lots of people questioning his fitness for his job. Make him look ridiculous. Float a wooden stick in the pond and tell people how he won't allow that. Float a boat with leaves for sails, ditto. Tell the public that handbags will be prohibited next, etc. Remind the reporter that the American dream is dead if guys like this bureaucrat can deny historic use of a facility.

Make the bureaucrat have to defend himself. Then his boss will start sweating...."what have you gotten the Dept. into, you fool? Let the guy float his boats and get the newshounds off my back!"
------------
I know this method works. About 15 years ago, the Montana delegation to Congress tried to push through a phony environmental protection bill. The bill would have protected nothing that was at risk, while un-protecting lots of land that was. We wrote letters to our Senators and Representative, but got no where...big bucks were on the side of the tear-up-the-place guys. So, we expanded the fight. We contacted people all over the US and got them to write to their congressmen. But the real bill-killer was when we bought a 1/2 page ad in the N.Y.Times. We included a photo of a destroyed area. That got the Congressman pushing the bill totally angry. His political hatchetman tried to intimidate me, but failed *grin*. We had made his boss look like the sleezeball he was.The bill was dropped.

Use the newspaper to embarrass the bad guys. You might not want to spend the $ on a N.Y.Times ad, but you could get free publicity to accomplish the same thing, I bet.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Last edited by Brooks; Feb 01, 2013 at 06:22 AM.