View Single Post
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:48 PM
Find More Posts by Gree
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,960 Posts
Working on the Canopy Retraction Mechanism

Thanks Jeff (wow that's 3 Jeffs so far!).

I bought the prop from Tower Hobbies some time ago. It is an APC 15.5x12x4. Here is the link http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX1642

Chugging Away
Today I tackled one of the jobs I was dreading - making the rest of the canopy retraction mechanism. Namely, the bar that connects to either side of the inner canopy and sits on the little track I made behind the pilot armour. Of course this is non-functional on this plane.

I eyeballed and measured, and came up with what you see below. There is a balsa core, and the rest is made from styrene sheet. It is not complete of course, but this is as detailed as I am going to go with this... Enough to give you the idea. So none of the rods etc that are connected to this system as you'll see in the example photo of the real thing. Funny, I am getting lazier the closer this thing gets to completion!

The top needs sanding smooth, and then the various bolts and rivets need to be simulated to some degree. Then it will be painted and installed, and the canopy finally and permanently glued in place.

EDIT - Added a couple more photos of the completed part...
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Last edited by Gree; Feb 01, 2013 at 02:14 AM.