Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:53 PM
Find More Posts by Ben Clerx
KC6ZZS
Newport Beach, CA USA
Joined Apr 2008
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R View Post
Ask any full size glider pilot about this and the answer you will get is to keep the yaw string centered. In a tight thermal turn that almost always requires "in" rudder and "top" aileron. I'm no aeronautical engineer (or any kind of engineer for that matter) but I do know that a coordinated turn is the minimum drag turn. Wing drag and fuse drag are not terms I've ever heard.

Fly a full size and watch the vario while playing with the yaw string. As soon as that string gets a little off center the vario shows you going down. The farther it gets off center the faster you are going to come down.

Maybe our toy airplanes fly differently, after all, the models seem to know when they are in a downwind turn

Keep in mind that the yaw string (on the canopy near the nose) is well forward of the wing. What appears as a slight slip on the yaw string may well be perpendicular airflow at the wings. That being said, it's true that a slight slip, with the need for less "top" aileron is better than skidding around a turn (higher drag).

I love it when the competition thinks they can make a "flat turn" (using rudder and keeping the wings level with ailerons) in weak conditions to minimize their sink rate. The Europeans used to do that and I highly encourage them (and all my competitors) to continue that practice.

Come with me on a full scale sailplane ride and I'll quickly cure you of all those glider myths (flat turns, downwind turns, etc.). Heck, I can give the same demos in an Extra 300, which is much more fun (at least for me). Some of you already have, and I apologize if you needed more than one "bag"
Ben Clerx is offline Find More Posts by Ben Clerx