Thread: Discussion First build, DLG!
View Single Post
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:09 PM
Find More Posts by Traian
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Mar 2008
1,484 Posts
That pod looks like the first balsa pod I made and the crash was spectacular. The wing still in one piece (with a chunk of the fuse still attached to it) was acting like a thin piece of paper that you throw in the air, meanwhile the rest of the fuse and tail group became a RC arrow and was flying ballistic like a missile. The fuse got stuck in the soft ground some 75M nose in to the ground. Oh the fun days of making of my first model.
My mistake was that I used a thin layer of fiberglass on the outside of the fuse (1.6 glass). I should have had more than that. I would shape the balsa to a feather edge around the boom do not worry about the thickness. Then use some sleeve material 1 layer light weight carbon fiber and one layer Kevlar and you should be in great shape. You can get those get from http://sollercomposites.com/ . And one more thing make sure the radio fits inside since it looks a little on the thin side. Make a paper or cardboard box around your RC equipment and be sure is tight an all of it fits inside then you can accurately predict the size of the fuse.
Traian is online now Find More Posts by Traian