View Single Post
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:49 AM
Find More Posts by justinlee1
Trader Rating: 6
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2012
367 Posts
Trader Rating: 6
Thanks for the words of support and suggestion for the RF tracker, which I agree looks like a great option.

I do want to clarify a couple if things:

1) The Naza was not at fault. It's been my only FC so far, but I loved how it flew and would get it again. When I lost sight I was in Atti mode instead of GPS mode, prolly because of haphazard video transmitter placement. I was also in a windy area. Had I been in GPS mode or have had Home Lock I likely would have been fine.

2) I would love to be able to place the blame on Spektrum or other equipment but the blame for this falls squarely on my piloting error. I could think of at least two dozen error points I had but the largest one was being so excited to test my ad-hoc FPV setup that I let excitement get in the way of better judgement.

Of course I knew to put my contact information on the quad, have the serial numbers written down, to read the manual to understand how RTH works, and to ask myself why I wasn't getting GPS lock. I knew all of those things and did none of them. I let my excitement to try something new and cool override the practice of systematically applying the things I knew that I was supposed to do, and unfortunately deserved nothing more of less than what I got in the loss of an expensive plane.

This has been a rather expensive lesson, but hopefully it's one I'll learn from and not repeat.
justinlee1 is offline Find More Posts by justinlee1