View Single Post
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:53 PM
Find More Posts by PyroMan
United States, KY, Paducah
Joined Mar 2011
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene6029 View Post
Pyroman, I never used ultracoat myself so i cant shed any light on useing it for trim. However, if it lays down like Monokote, you could try cutting a 1/8" strip and follow right behind it with the tip of the heat iron. It may stretch around your curvs, i know Monokote will. Another way to do it & get clean lines is with automotive trim tape. I use it all the time & follow it up with a heat iron on tight corners. I used it on my mini mambo, see pic. (hint) if you use a good quality wax after applying it, nitro wont bother lifting it if you wipe down after flying.....Gene
Thanks for the info Gene. I'll try doing the thin strip of covering followed by an iron on a scrap piece of balsa tomorrow. Hopefully it'll work so I won't have to pick up some trim tape. . .

I have installed the servos, hinged both control surfaces, mounted the horiz. and vert. stabs, ran pushrods, and installed the control horns. I really like the sewn hinges. They are different and actually kind of cool looking. Plus they create almost no resistance. I'll be using these in the future!

I've also laminated some balsa to create the windshield and the cowl block. The cowl block is being glued onto the front right now and I'll finish shaping it tomorrow.

I'll have to install the fuel tank before I sheet the plane because it will be a real pain to but in there afterwards.

No pics, but maybe some tomorrow. . .
PyroMan is offline Find More Posts by PyroMan