Thread: Build Log E-Scorpion
View Single Post
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:22 PM
Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
7,164 Posts
As many times as I have went to the Aviation Design site, I missed this little ditty.
- Very easy to fly.
- Short take off and landing due to big airfoil thickness (13%),large flaps and low wing loading

With total disregard , I picked, what I thought "looked good" for an airfoil. Below is the 9.5% I choose, compared to a 12% one, considerable difference. Back 6" from L.E. max thickness is 2 9/16" on 12%, on the 9.5% its 1 13/16" I can only guess how much thicker a 13% would be. May have to look into a change.
One thing at a time. Any suggestions for the airfoil? Not to late to make a change.

Mounting the fan and wing pose its own problems. Ducting goes over the wing, that can be delt with. With width of fuse, fan formers will be long. I plan on using lots of 1/8th" 6-ply here, also on wing spars, and stab mounting. Have an idea here for that. Bud Nosen's business is just out of town (30mi) and he has a great selection of wood. The LHS gets a lot from him, thinking special order. As cold as it is up here, not much chance for wood to warp! Looking at -20 Fri AM.

Now with tax refund on it's way, time to start finalizing my " list" of goodies. That still gives me a good week to do it, then wait for parcels to start rolling in!!

With the prodding of RogueAce and Stupot46, I guess I need to get some new batteries for my camera. Looks like I will be taking lots of photo's!
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Jan 30, 2013 at 06:34 PM.