View Single Post
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:45 PM
Find More Posts by buzzard bait
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
1,128 Posts
Champ

Hi, my first RC was a Top Flight Schoolmaster, 39 inch span, all balsa, with a muffled Cox 049. At that time there was a park I could fly in. Once the plane was up I would hand the Tx over to total strangers who came to watch. It was a great flyer and practically indestructible.

Later I scratch-built my own and brought the weight down from 20 oz to 16 oz. By that time I had also gone from rudder/throttle to adding elevator...a big improvement. I thermaled that plane once for 25 minutes.

Finally I joined a club and wanted to do touch and goes on the runway. So like you, I bought a Midwest Live Wire Champ. Isn't that a great airplane! Mine was powered with an OS 15 FP turning an 8 1/2x4 prop. A friend did rolling circles with it. It just looked so beautiful in the air I always loved going to the field with it. Then the club did a Stick 40 Plus winter building project, so that was my aileron plane. But there was really nothing to learning ailerons at that point. Also, the plane was so ugly that I took much less pleasure in flying it.

Tell me about your Champ! I never tire of reading or writing about that plane.

Jim
buzzard bait is online now Find More Posts by buzzard bait