Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:05 PM
Find More Posts by n00b-E
Tread Elsewhere
United States, CO
Joined Sep 2007
699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post
Why? All you are doing is fitting into the laws around you - the same as you would be doing in any other country.
Because my ability to choose how to defend myself would be curtailed.

Quote:
But are you living in fear all the time (I don't)? If so, wouldn't it be better to live somewhere 'nicer'? Wouldn't that help your concern for your wife?
Who says your country is nicer? Certainly not your violent crime stats. I don't live in fear of her getting shot now, and rapists aren't bound by borders on a map.

Quote:
I'm willing to bet that the crime rate in the area I live in is absolutely nowhere near the level that you guys seem to suggest happens where you are (and also that you seem to think happens everywhere in the UK).

Well... I did lose a couple of rusty tools from my (opened) garage about 10 years ago. And we did have police shoot an armed bank robber (the gang came down from London) about 8 years ago. The only shooting ever - in the 63 years that I have lived in and around the area (it made International news! My sister-in-law heard about it in NZ. That's how astounding it was!)
So wait, it's acceptable for you to suggest that everywhere in the US is as bad as Detroit, but not for me to assume your whole country has a horrible rate of violent crime? I've got a bit of news for you Norman, where I live the crime rate is low too, but a few miles north of here it's a different story. And since my wife works where she is often out late and walking to her car in the dark parking lot, it's nice to have piece of mind.
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E