Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:43 AM
Find More Posts by tonystro
TonyS
United States, AR
Joined May 2010
635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbrewer View Post
In early December, I read in the local paper that our wise and all knowing city council was considering banning all model airplanes from flying in the city parks and limits. I have tried to find out more but no luck.

Terry
In Little Rock area, one community park director, with city council support, has built a launching ramp for float flyers because citizenry enjoys our flying (electric, glow and gas powered) our models, which we do only between the hours of 8 and 5. A second community keeps an area in one park area mowed short for rc airplane use, and invites rc flyers to display and demonstrate at two community sponsored events each year. One of the larger communities bans rc aircraft of any type, the other allows lightweight electrics in the parks and verbally supports a 58 year old AMA club on the outskirts. But, it is getting more difficult to point out to the city councils the difference between responsible, concerned flyers and the haven't-got-a-clue, don't give a d#$n, punks. I suspect in the not too distant future flying will be banned in most of the urban parks.

Some decades ago, my family traveled from Aurora to visit friends in Waverly. Their son and I launched Estes powered rockets and flew screaming .049 control line planes from a park there. I don't remember the name of the park. One elder gentleman, who was then probably my current age, complemented us on our rockets and suggested we might not want to launch the rockets due to possible fire hazard. He then sat and watched us flying our control line planes, complementing us on our plans and our flying ability. I moved away many, many years ago but on my last visit to Aurora, I saw kids launching rockets in one of the parks there.

Times have changed. In many places we would now be classed as noisy hooligans creating at least an ear-damaging noise problem, if not absolutely being a major threat to the health of anyone in the park who might come in contact with the hazardous fuel, toxic fumes, lead in the starter battery or paint fumes coming from the burning hot engine. Not to overshadow the danger they would see in the spinning propeller or the threat of the 8-9 oz plane striking someone. Were/are there dangers, certainly to some extent. But people then were smart enough to stay out of the way of the plane (remember control line), and simply acknowledge the skills and imagination of the builder/flyer. It should got with out saying that it is inherent on the owner/flyer to operate their Radio Controlled or Free Flight craft in a manner which respects the safety of others, and does not disrupt others use of a public facility.

I act as "an expert" when two of the local elementary schools have an aerodynamic theme for a school project. Today's youth are just as interested in aircraft (much greater variety now) and flight as I was. They have easier and more vast sources of information, unfortunately, they have a lesser chance of being able to personally apply the knowledge they can access. I do as much as I can with "non-pointy" paper airplanes. Can't even use chuck gliders lest a child be injured.

I will not get off my soapbox now. Thanks for reading this far, if you did.

TonyS
tonystro is offline Find More Posts by tonystro
Last edited by tonystro; Jan 30, 2013 at 11:53 AM. Reason: to add oldtime comparison