Thread: Discussion Cord vs Span
View Single Post
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:52 PM
Find More Posts by Roger Rocket
Joined Jan 2012
176 Posts
Discussion
Cord vs Span

Always trying to learn something, and I guess this is the place. So, here's my question : In models as well as Full Scale I kinda thought high Aspect Ratio was what designers seem to prefer. Also, as in Cessna and Piper and some others, Tapered T.E. BUT, after seeing a Van's homebuilt that uses short span and wide cord, and they seem to have much better performance than most other light aircraft. Van's are very fast, but have almost STOL qualities, and what I hear or read, the best control Harmony than any other light aircraft. Plus, there made to be aerobatic. Now in models, most of what I see, in Sport, or contest type aircraft is the Higher Aspect wings. So, the question, is short span, but wide cord something that will be ' re- Discovered ' in the future ?? I know this might be a simplistic question to some, but I with friends are trying to figure out why Van's wing design works so darn well, but goes against current design trends. Is Long Span, Short Chord always going to be the best way to go. ?? ( except for Van's aircraft )
Roger Rocket is offline Find More Posts by Roger Rocket