View Single Post
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:13 AM
dbc
Find More Posts by dbc
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
2,376 Posts
After 82 flights off of asphalt, my Starmax wheels were about shot. I had some difficulty coming up with replacements that worked well. The wheel pant openings are narrow and the axle widths inside them even narrower.

I finally used Dubro Super light 2" treaded wheels and dremmeled down the hub width. Also slightly enlarged the pant openings. A 1.75" Dave Brown Light Flight wheel worked best for the nosewheel. I got these wheels to fit tighter on the axles than the wobbly supplied ones and it really improved the ground handling. The plane now tracks very true on takeoffs and especially landings - before the change, it was difficult to keep it on a true course.

It seems every Cessna has slightly different flight characteristics (I've got 6 foamy Cessnas). This one is heavy and fairly low powered and flys exactly like that.... "slow and steady". The higher wing loading allows it to handle some wind and still remain stable. Most folks would not find it very exciting to fly but it adds a different feel to my group of 172/182's.
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Last edited by dbc; Jan 28, 2013 at 07:18 AM.