View Single Post
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:32 PM
Find More Posts by old4570
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,124 Posts
Discussion
450 Basics [ stuff you need ]

Wow - so what do you need to fly a 450 .. Since this is posted in the beginner section of the forum , I will assume Noobness ...

First you need your heli and radio [ I will assume RTF to speed things along ] , and RTF can be had from $125 or so shipped to your door . [ Depending on where in the world you are ]

The first thing I would recommend is a Charger , iMAX B6 [ Can be had from about $19 ] , power supply [ $10 ] , maybe a Parallel charging board ? [ $9 if you want to charge more than one battery at a time ] A B6 with a built in power supply will start around $34

Batteries ? one is not enough ...

Tools = Hex drivers 1.5mm / 2mm / 2.5mm / 3mm [ you want 2 x 1.5mm ]
Pliers , standard and ball link , $5 each
Zip ties ...
Screw drivers [ phillips ]

Heli spares :

Hmmm , well , just depends on what your breaking ..

Main drive gear
Main rotor shaft
Feathering shaft [ make sure you get the right ones ]
Tail rotor shaft
Tail boom
Oh yeah - Rotor Blades ...
Servos [ I really like the TG9e from HK , cheap and good , a rare combo ]
Frame screws [ one bag should be enough ]

If you can live with one helicopter you wont need so many spares [ maybe ] , pictured is my nick nack boxes , the small stuff ..
Screws , motor mounts , feathering shafts , main shafts , tail rotor shafts , and so forth .. The more I got in , the more parts I needed , the deeper I got ..

At one time it took almost 2 months to get rotor blades out of China , local blades cost like $15 or more for a single pair , now I carry a few pair , well eeer , Im not sure ... Let me check ... Yikes , maybe more than your local hobby shop .. Thing is , I dont want to wait for spares .. Id rather get to one or two spares and order more than not have any .. I might go a month now without breaking anything , and suddenly there is a oops moment , and you need new rotor blades , feathering shaft , main rotor shaft and maybe a servo or three ..

A really huge oops might see you replacing 50% of your bird ..

Do you twiddle your thumbs for a month waiting for parts , or do you sit down , repair the heli and kick yourself for doing something silly and keep flying ?

Anyhow , parts , how much etc is very personal , but you should keep some , especially the more common parts that are bent or broken ..

Main drive gear , main rotor shaft and feathering shaft , these 3 things are probably the most common to go , with servos next ..

Thing is , once you carry spares - youl break something you dont have - Murphys Law ...
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570