Thread: Discussion Ergo 60 set-up
View Single Post
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:29 PM
Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,916 Posts
It should hover at around 5.5 to 6 degree's of pitch. Hover rpm should be around 1500 rpm. Idle should be at low throttle stick in normal mode. It should be enough rpm to keep running, and not have the blades turn. How you set that up depends on how you want to kill the engine. Some transmitters have a button that will drop the throttle to kill the engine. Or you can use the trim lever to lower the throttle to cut (set ilde rpm with the trim lever centered, or a little higher if needed to kill the engine). You can also set another flight mode with low stick at throttle cut. I usually do all 3 incase I forget what I'm flying, one means will stop the engine. Depending on blades used, the idle up should be around 1750 rpm. Thats enough rpm to do 3D, and probably more than you will need. I usually set the pitch range on a helicopter this size to around +12 for beginners, and up to about 13 for 3D. You should at least use +9 degree's pitch. I set more pitch, since +9 might not be enough to pull out of a manuver if flying around.
To achieve this takes some setup time. You'll need a tachometer, to set the hover rpm. High rpm is more difficult, a good spotter with an optical tack might get it. I usually have a governor or throttle limiter to limit the max rpm. Some governors can be set to do either, govern or limit the rpm. The tuning is best done without it in governor mode, as it can trick you as to the tuning by changing the throttle to compensate.
Be careful this helicopter is big enough to be dangerous.
A silicon exhaust deflector is nice to have. It can be pinched off to kill the engine when starting. Usually for a first start, I get a helper to pinch the exhaust if needed. if the throttle is backwards or the idle to high it will start trying to turn the blades. So you need to get a good grip on the rotor head, a leg to block the boom from rotating on you, and a hand for the starter. So not easy to pinch the exhaust if something goes wrong. I usually start with the throttle to low to start, and bump it up a little at a time.
I set throttle hold to idle, incase I want to do an autorotation. You can set it to throttle cut to easily kill the engine, but not good to get in this habit unless you never intend to autorotate on purpose.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob