#16 improvements of a different kind are being implement within a week or two. A new case design is being adopted that incorporates suggestions from the user base. Specifically:
- The small ears and tabs in the front inside of the two case halves that interlock to hold the case front together have been made much more robust and should not be subject to accidental breaking when the case is opened.
- New alignment and securement structures have been molded in the two case halves to precisely position and secure the CMOS module. No additional glue, tape, etc. is needed to keep the lens centered on the case hole.
- The bottom of the case is flat to make it more stable and easier to mount and align in certain applications.
- In addition to flattening the case bottom, it is very slightly deeper (about .5 mm) and can hold a higher capacity battery to significantly boost recording time.
- An alternative larger capacity battery will be available.
- In my limited testing, with the alternative (502030) battery I got 62:20 min. of video with the Video Data Rate set for 7Mbps and with video-out turned OFF. This is about 20 min. longer than the current (402030) battery for about a 47% increase. With video-out turned on, you can expect about 10 min. less. The current (402030) battery is 4 mm thick and the larger alternative (502030) battery is 5mm thick.
The case modifications have very slightly increased the weight of the case (without a battery), from a nominal 5.26 gms. to 5.67 gms. The nominal weights of the 402030 and 502030 batteries are 4.60 gms and 5.45 gms., respectively. So a camera with the new case and the 502030 battery would add about 1.26 gms of additional weight to the camera.
For those with extreme weight sensitive applications, the current smaller case and battery may better suit you.
Cases with lens openings sized to best accomodate the various lenses will be available. The new case design will be the standard case as soon as the current case inventory is exhausted. If you are ordering a camera now and specifically want the new case, let your vendor know this when ordering.
NOTE: For those who previously bought a #16 from a verified seller listed in my thread, if you want a new case for it and are buying another new #16 with new case, it's my understanding a free new case (for your old camera) will be offered with the new order if you ask for it.
The current (402030) battery will continue to be the standard battery shipped unless you specifically ask for the alternative (502030), which will also be sold separately by the verified sellers.
Some pictures of the new case design features are attached.