View Single Post
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:28 AM
Find More Posts by Cougar429
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
1,444 Posts
Try something as a pattern first to see if the wheels actually fit. I formed a simple wire leg with the angles that had the wheels in the original position, then working backwards tried altering the retract mounting angles, location and geometry to have them fit within a general area of concern.

Basically that meant to start I bent a wire identical to stock, at least at the bottom. I had the fuse inverted with a cardboard former off the wing to indicate where the stock main wheels were designed to be, then bent the upper angle in the wire to simulate the main legs of the retracts. Holding them in that axis I would swing the legs through 90 degrees and watch what happened when the wheels came up. This is how I discovered the wheels/axles angle required at the start interfered in the retract position, regardless of where and how I mounted the retract units. That angle was not set in stone and was varied, (and if you get multi-link geometry units this is moot) all with the intent the main wheels would at least be close to original location. You may vary track width a bit, but always try to have them stay at the same height and station to continue the ground handling of the original.
Cougar429 is online now Find More Posts by Cougar429