View Single Post
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:37 AM
Find More Posts by acesimmer
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,427 Posts
Quick update......

On Monday I ordered a new rapid set plastic resin to make my radial engines with. I gallon for $57 shipped! So quite inexpensive. It says that I have a two minute handling time and a demold of fifteen minutes. This should be fun!

So I mixed up 50/50 part A and B and stirred for 30 seconds. Into the mold that was sitting in the pressure chamber. Lock down the lid and apply 20 PSI. Total time 1:30 min. Picked up the remaining resin in the mixing cup and getting quite hot. 3 mins and the mixing pot was rock hard and beginning to cool down. Gave it ten minutes then cracked to pot. Out popped a perfect radial engine in a total time of twelve minutes. Holy cow Batman!!. I made another five engines in an hour one after the other. I could go into production at this rate and the weight is only 48 grams so nice and light. It used to take 8 hrs plus with the older resin.

Also made up the engine firewall and front gear mount assembly and installed in to the fuselage. I made a set of templates to make future builds fast and easy. It takes a long time of fiddling and fitting for the first assembly. I made a total of three before getting it to fit perfect. With custom composites you have to think of servicing with ease. So everything is thought out ten steps ahead and you still screw things up. I can now easily service motor, ESC, servo steering and mechanism and adjust and or replace and remove retract unit.
acesimmer is online now Find More Posts by acesimmer