Thread: Build Log Horten Ib 1/8 scale
View Single Post
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:42 AM
Find More Posts by andrecillo76
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
Joined Oct 2009
382 Posts
Hi,

time for some more pics of the H-I. After having done the upper side, I started with the bottom. At this stage, it looks almost done, you turn it around and have always the same surprise of still having lots to do .

I used some balsa wood at the trailing edge to support it. The thin strip of ply on top and bottom would else give a fragile edge. Then you follow essentially the same steps as for the upper side: planking and scarfing. The wings are kept in a jig with weights on top. The sheeting of the torsion box is fixed on leading edge using clear parcel tape. Having done the bottom side, I went on to finish the centre section.

The centre section is tricky. The cabin is a sort of short wing section on top of the main wing and the intersection of these needs some care. Luckily, the main piece can be used as a jig for the cabin. I started with pre-bending a piece of wet plywood for the trailing edge of the cabin, which was easy to glue after having dried. I started then to plank the rear of the cabin with 3x7mm balsa strips. I used mostly UHU-Hart and instant adhesive sometimes for pieces which were hard to keep in place (only on the inner side). Using thin strips produced more work and it took a while until the cabin was closed, but the result was convincing. After sanding the balsa, I scarfed joined the last pieces. Note that the cabin is still not fixed on the main piece, allowing to work well on the the main piece (sheeting and servo installation).

Cheers,
Andrés
andrecillo76 is offline Find More Posts by andrecillo76