View Single Post
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:40 PM
Find More Posts by Nicodema
Cambridge, UK
Joined Jan 2008
76 Posts
This is starting to get really exciting and it's great to see the vendor community working together to bring these new systems to market. There's obviously so much demand that partnership is the most efficient way forward.

On a technical note I think it's worth pointing out that the direct drive servomotor design turns much of the expected dynamics of gimbals on their heads.

With gearbox driven gimbal (i.e. traditional servo drive) you are fighting to "keep up" with the movements in the platform, by actively driving the camera sled in the opposite direction. The larger the camera, the larger and more powerful the drive motorshave to be.

To a large extent, and if my understanding is correct, these new designs are more akin to a Steadicam, which is inherently free and stable. You only apply torque when either you require pan, roll or tilt, OR you start seeing error that you need to correct in those axes (obviously these are 2 DoF while the Steadicam is 3 DoF, but the comparison holds).

This should also mean to a large extent that the scaling up of drives for heavier cameras is not as pronounced as in the geared case, because the heavier cameras are also more inherently stable in themselves (once balanced), only requiring more torque to perform camera rotations and counteract errors, rather than the big muscle required to keep up with platform movements.

I really can't wait to get my hands on one of these systems and try it out for myself. What a perfect time to get back into multicopters?

Martyn
Nicodema is offline Find More Posts by Nicodema