Thread: Discussion give me 3 to opt from!
View Single Post
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:56 AM
Find More Posts by brandtb
Minister of the Obvious
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
It's true that they have been covered well in these threads, but like the OP I currently only have a coax and still consider myself a novice flier.

Having said that, the bug has bitten me hard and I wish to explore more of what is out there, quads included.

There are even a few threads that compare these quads and some even go into some detail. Some of them are also a little old. I am targeting more toy-based quads rather than the hobby-grade quads from a cost perspective (initial ownership and costs over time). From my own reading, I have narrowed down my own list to:

Syma X1
Hubsan X4
VL949
VL202

My main criteria are:

- Reasonably stable for newer fliers
- Multiple modes to adapt to increased piloting skills
- Decent crash survivability
- Availability of parts, preferably stateside or from the more reliable suppliers in China
- I like "blinky lights"!
- Reasonable cost
- Good indoor flyer but can handle outdoors

Here are my conclusions so far:

Syma X1
- Very reasonable cost
- Syma generally has good parts availability
- Lacking in the "blinky lights"
- Resilient in crash

Hubsan X4

- Reputed to be best flier for aggressive pilots
- Poor crash survivability without mods
- Very compact, so probably better indoor flier
- Compactness makes some repair work challenging
- Decent but not great parts availability

V949
- Reputed to be solid platform
- Has a tendency to do undesirable flips in 100% mode - not an issue with earlier versions
- A little pricey (except through banggood)
- Good "blinky lights"!
- Has 9x (programmable transmitter) compatibility (not so big for me now)

V202
- Reputed to best combination of stability and performance (among these four)
- Very new, so availability might be lacking, especially parts
- No 9x compatibility
- Needs better canopy (others will fit)
- Daddy digs "blinky lights"

Right now, I am liking the V202 the best with the Syma X1 a close second because it is a lot less expensive (but I miss those darn "blinky lights"!). I am not afraid of adding my own LED's as there is a lot of guidance in these forums -- which I will need. Wire them in parallel and use the right resistors. The V202 availability and reasonable pricing from massiveRC (stateside and east coast!) makes it a very attractive option.

Not 100% there yet, but those are my observations so far based on all that I have read. I am sure that the more experienced fliers will correct any inadvertent errors on my part in this writing.

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?
brandtb is offline Find More Posts by brandtb
Last edited by brandtb; Jan 25, 2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Corrected 9x compatibility, thanks variantman!