View Single Post
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:12 AM
Find More Posts by davereap
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,514 Posts
The micro saga continues.....
The version 2 micro-kite has flown...with its COG at 70mm, it is perfect in some ways but lacking in the roll... It flies very slow and gentle.. loops are fine, but I didn't dare roll it..it was floating round just a bit faster than a Vapor at less than half throttle , very smooth, but the cold, zero degrees here, was again lowering the power from the tiny lipos.. full power at home had given me good vertical , but in our unheated venue the vertical was not possible..
conclusion .. if you want something very nice and easy , a bit more aerobatic than a Vapor, this version 2 will do nicely.. however please go with the geared micro SU type of motor setup, and not a brushless on 1 cell, for better performance.. or alternatively use a heavier small 2 cell setup to uprate its aerobatics

On its first flight it suffered a midair, colliding with a much bigger 2 cell 3D model that was wizzing round. and it crashed to the concrete floor... but it all bounced with the frame intact and I was able to right it and then fly on with only some damage to the covering..see the pic..
Funny was, that the 3D model flew on , then within a couple of seconds its prop disintegrated in a loud buzz...and it then crashed...
So effectively I won that round....lol... with no damage to my kites frame, and a flyable model, despite it being now tatty...
next time I must remember to take some tape...

The version 3 model will not be built, I think it will be too slow and gentle for me... I am going to a smaller, slimmer and faster shape to get more aerobatic ability .. a version-4
But Ive decided on the build I will use 1.5mm rods for the spars and outer curves.. they are more damage resistant
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Jan 25, 2013 at 12:55 AM.