View Single Post
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:59 PM
Find More Posts by Cougar429
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
1,442 Posts
Is that the F-14 "TameCat"?

I finished my G/P F-15 last spring and tried to work out the geometry for retracts with no success. Nose gear was no problem since I moved the fuel tank to the CofG, but the engine nacelles were not large enough to fit the main wheels if I wanted to follow the original wheel track width. With the angle between the gear legs and axles the wheels come into the wells on an angle. the G/P F-14 has wider nacelles large enough to accommodate that angle. A multi-link setup to maintain wheel alignment was the only solution, but deemed far too complex for this model and hard to rig with servoless retracts.

As for the proper set of servoless, you have options based on aircraft weight and sweep angle. Most common I've seen are in the 85-90 degree, with I believe 100 degree also available from some.

I'm a big fan of E-flite servoless as the larger 60-120 units capable of working up to 15 lbs use strong alloy frames. I would imagine your 40 size craft would be in the 6 lb range and you should be able to work with the more common plastic frames up to that.

I do have a set of mains only RCLander retracts capable of up to 13-15 lbs. Basically new other than I countersunk the mounting holes. Their motor orientation did not allow them to fit the intended application.

http://www.rclander.com/default.aspx...d-894a058083f2

No struts on mine, just 5mm wire.

I'd be interested to see if and how you solve this one.
Cougar429 is offline Find More Posts by Cougar429