Thread: Discussion EXI 500 Thread
View Single Post
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:49 PM
Find More Posts by turbojoe
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,589 Posts
OK so I'm thinking about dragging my EXI 500 out again. I put it away after fighting an irritating vibration/harmonic even with no main blades. Balanced, balanced and rebalanced everything and it was still there. New bearings and shafts. Lots of Align and Tarot parts. Still there. I don't remember if I had received and changed the main gears at that point. I think I'll do it just for grins before going any further. If I get the vibration sorted I'll be looking forward to flying something again. It's been a while.

What I need now is a gyro. My Futaba GY-240 and GY401 are now in 450 helis that I will be selling soon and I want to sell them BNF. Early last year I picked up one of those el cheapo no name GY-401 clones and put it in a spare T-Rex 450. What a piece of crap. After about one minute I was constantly chasing tail drift worsening as time went on. It was like a Blade CX when the battery starts going dead. I see a lot of new low priced gyros available now. Any of them worthy of putting on a bird this size? I have a fused left thumb so tail/throttle control is difficult at best. Needless to say 3D performance is not a requirement or even a possibility for me. I just need a rock solid tail for slow circuits and hovering. Maybe a loop or roll now and then. Cost is also a huge concern as I'm a poor boy now.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe