Find More Posts by chktm
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
3,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimob23 View Post
Chris
I think you are 100% correct regarding the gyro noise
Have been doing a bit of work balancing the flywheel assisted by an aero mechanic who was able to dynanic balance but only to 10,000 RPM
To give Atomic some credit I think the basic steel section is pretty accurate .
The problem comes when attaching the magnet sections hence the some appear ok and others need attention
Fitted a set of SKF bearings and reduction in the rumbling sound was very noticable
Just need to be aware that with rubber seals the rated RPM is reduced to 20,000 compared to 30,000 for metal shields .Am told the friction heats up the rubber contact area ,hardens it and reduces the seal effect
Price is a big factor so perhaps replacing the Chinese sourced bearing on a regular basis is the way to go
Static balancing is essential to reduce as much vibration as possible since that is an arch enemy of any bearing regardless of place of manufacture
Disregarding of the price factor part ceramc bearings are fine for high RPM static applications but not the best for impact load situations experianced in jumping etc as the balls can shatter .
Fully ceramic are a non starter mainly due to pricing but also the outer ring is not designed to fit into an interferiance fit situation so can crack and again the impact load issue

cheers Jim
I'd have to agree there Jim. Be nice to see them balanced after the magnet fitting.
chktm is offline Find More Posts by chktm